Which Plants Are Dangerous For Cats?

Whilst many people love to have fresh cut flowers and pot plants in their homes, or spend time outdoors gardening, it’s important to remember that some plants can be toxic or harmful to your pet cat.

The Main Culprits

There are a few plants which are known by many cat owners to be poisonous for their feline friend. Probably the most common of these are lilies. All parts of the lily are toxic to cats and cat owners should avoid having them in their house or garden.

One of the most common ways a cat is poisoned by lilies is getting pollen on their fur, and then licking it off.

Another common plant which should be avoided are Chrysanthemums, the flowers of which can be harmful if eaten by your cat. Dumb cane is also a popular house plant to be wary of as it can be toxic to your cat if eaten.

More Dangerous Plants

Along with the mostly well-known plants which can be toxic to cats, there are also several which you may not be aware of. Below is a list of plants which are known to be poisonous or harmful to cats –

  • Amaryllis
  • Aphelandra
  • Azalea
  • Castor Oil Plant
  • Christmas Cherry
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Codiaeum
  • Cornflower
  • Croton
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil Bulbs
  • Delphinium
  • Devil’s Ivy
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Dumb Cane
  • Elephant’s Ear
  • Epipremnum Aureum
  • Ferns
  • Foxglove
  • Holly
  • Hyacinthus
  • Hypoestes Phyllostachya
  • Iris
  • Ivy
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lily
  • Lupin
  • Marigold
  • Mistletoe
  • Nerium Oleander
  • Oleander
  • Ornithogalum
  • Peony
  • Poinsettia
  • Poppy
  • Rubber Plant
  • Senecio
  • Snowdrop
  • Star of Bethlehem
  • Sweet pea
  • Umbellatum
  • Umbrella Plant
  • Wisteria
  • Zebra Plant

Symptoms of Poisoning

Whilst the symptoms of poisoning are not always immediately obvious, and can vary greatly, there are a few key signs to look out for. These include –

  • A sudden increased in thirst
  • Your cat becoming confused or uncoordinated
  • Excessive drooling, difficulty breathing, or vomiting
  • Fitting/Seizures

If you think that your cat has eaten a poisonous plant or flower, take them to a vet immediately. It is important that they are seen as soon as possible, so do not wait for symptoms or assume that the issue will pass.

Make sure you keep other pets away from the source, and try to get as much information as possible about what you think your cat has consumed as this will help your vet to act quickly.

If you have any questions or concerns about your cat’s lifestyle, behaviour, or living space, please feel free to get in touch for a chat about how I can help.